Legal action for committing adultery

Can the wife send husband to jail on adultery charge.

Answers (1)

304 votes

There is no provision in the law for a woman to file a complaint against her adulterous husband. If a married man commits adultery with an unmarried woman or a widow or with a married woman with the consent of her husband, his wife is not regarded as an aggrieved party and she is not permitted to make any official grievance against her husband. Sec 497 IPC describes adultery. Only the husband of the treacherous woman can file complainant.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

In a domestic violence case involving economic abuse done by the husband against wife. DV case is ongoing and is pending for interim relief orders. Th…

Read More

i have filed fir u/s 307/379... etc. there are case counter case even ... can i sale my flat during this case which has nothing to do with the matter …

Read More

One guy is threatening and blackmailing me with my memory card which is in his possession. I have photos and videos of my previous relationship. I com…

Read More

I want to ask about harassment. Some people from my village harassing me. They always comment on me whenever they saw me at public place or anywhere. …

Read More