Legal action against forging signature to sell someone's car

What if someone has forged signatures of someone and uses it to sell a car? What is the minimum punishment for the same?

Answers (2)

271 votes

This is considered as very serious offence. The court take it very seriously amd are not lenient about the same but its very difficult to prove the same as offence is always to be proved beyond reasonable doubt. The punishment can go upto seven years

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

51 votes

A person, who forged the signature of another purpose for making false document is liable to be punish under section 465 and 467 IPC. The minimum punishment under section 465 is only fine and under section 467 it may be any term of imprisonment and also fine. If the document used as genuine, the same is punishable under section 471 IPC as in your case the same was used for selling car. The minimum punishment is as per section 465 IPC.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles