Husband physically abuses me and tried to kill me. What should i do?

My husband and his family used to physically abuse me in past. I have also been tried to killed by my husband so many times. I left him 3 years ago but he has been blackmailing me for a Divorce.

Now I think of filing 498 A for all the cruelties and he & his family did to me. What should I do?

As per the Hindu Law, law gives you the discretion to file a case for divorce in whichever place you are residing and your spouse would be called through the process of court to reply to your case. You can also file a case for an attempt of murder under section 307 IPC in addition to 498A.

The other remedy available to you in law is to file a case under the domestic violence act in which you can also seek maintenance and residence and in addition make your husband viable for domestic violence.

Advocate Gouri Shankar Hemekari