Friend threatens to file FIR. How to safeguard? I took money from him.

What legal steps can we take to safeguard ourselves against my younger sister’s friend’s threats? My younger sister had taken money from her friend who later proposed her. On being refused he started blackmailing her.

She was to give the money back but now her friend is threatening her on going to the police station to file an FIR against her. What can we do?

Answers (1)

261 votes

The act of your sister's friend is illegal and amounts to a criminal offense as even if your sister owes him money. The only remedy he has now is to recover the same is through legal recourse.

In case the blackmailing continues, your sister can file a criminal complaint and register an FIR U/s 506 IPC for criminal intimidation against the person who is blackmailing your sister.

The ideal way to sort this out would be to amicably speak to your sister's friend and tell him that he would also be in a criminally liable for threatening and blackmailing your sister and he should thereby drop the idea of going to the Police Station and sort it out mutually.

Lastly, if he goes to the Police Station to file an FIR, you can contest the same and defend the complaint through an Advocate citing harassment as the cause of not returning the money.

Kindly contact us for any further details and action.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Pradeep Kumar
Rohini Court, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles