FIR lodged. How to proceed now? Go to court or settle with police?

In Criminal Law

My wife has lodged an FIR against my father and my brother for abusing her and is trying to get a non bailable warrant issued against them. Kindly advise as to how do we proceed?

When I met the relevant Police officer, I was told that my brother and father have 20 days to respond / apply for an anticipatory bail.

What should we do now? Should we go to the court or settle this with the Police?

Answers (1)

437 votes

The best option available to you is to file a petition for anticipatory bail under Section 438 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, before the competent court. This should be done as soon as possible before the warrants are issued against your father and brother. If the said Non-bailable warrants are issued, then you shall have to apply for regular bail after the arrest.

However, we also need to know the contents of the FIR and under which Sections have you been charged so as to provide you complete assistance in this matter.

We would like to mention that this matter cannot be settled with the Police as they are not competent to grant bail and the same has to be applied for in the court.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
26 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles