child abuse by step-grandmother on her grand daughter

My step-daughter is now aged 15, she was staying at her grand father’s house in 2009 (aged 9) when I married her mother who was widowed. But her step-grandmother was torturing her like a slave (physical abuse). Also sons & daughter of her grand mother were beating her at will. A year later we came to know about this and got her out of there. Now she is a teenage girl but cannot overcome her traumatic past. She keeps remembering the past, her self-confidence is low. She for the first time approached me asking to take her tormentors to court/Police. What legal option I have now, can I put a criminal case against her step-grand mother’s family now ? What kind of evidence is required ? If possible to put a case then what should be the location, we stay in one location and her step-grand mother stays in some other location. Please advise.

Answers (1)

108 votes
She may file a FIR against her step-grand mother and the children of her grand mother for subjecting her to physical torture. All of them may be arrested and put behind bars for the felony committed by them. Since she is the sufferer her own statement is sufficient for the case to be lodged against all of them and them to be arrested in pursuance of police investigation.

If police does not lodge FIR then she can file the criminal case directly in the court whereupon the court, after recording a finding of the commission of offence by her step-grandmother and her family, order all of them to appear in the court and face the criminal proceedings. Although the case can be lodged by her at her own place, but this is subject to how long back the offence was committed, domicile of all the abusers and the nature of injuries, if any, which had befallen to your step-daughter on account of physical abuse meted out to her. In addition to to above, she can file a case against all of them seeking heavy monetary damages for the physical abuse sustained by her.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles