quesCase of dowry and domestic violence

Please can you clear one doubt regarding dowry harassment. I was married in 2004. My MIL took away all my jewelry. My husband wanted my father to give him his business. In 2007 my SIL `s marriage was fixed up. My MIL and SIL demanded a Honda city car for her marriage. I resisted the same. My SIL came back from her matrimonial home on 3 rd day of marriage and lodged dowry harassment against her husband for demanding an Honda City. I was blamed for breaking up her marriage as my parents had not gifted her a honda city car. She told her parents to stop giving me food from the only kitchen in home. I was left with 2 kids and no food. I shifted to my parents. In 2008, after counselling by police, my husband took a separate house. On first day , he left me at my parents promising to pick me and kids up at night. However when he did not turn up, I called him up. His sister picked the phone and told me to deposit copensation for breaking her marriage into her account , or she will break my marriage . Same night I was thrown out by my husband. is this not dowry harassment. Any judgements will be helpful.

  • ansThis may not qualify as dowry harassment however if you have any proof that the car was asked to be gifted to your sister in law in her marriage, then this can come under dowry harassment. What proof do you except the verbal communication that your in laws asked your parents to gift your sister in law a car for her marriage.

    And if possible obtain a copy of the dowry harassment case lodged by your sister in law against her husband for demanding Honda city. you can file a case of dowry harassment since in a way to sustain your marriage further, your parents are asked to pay certain amount/gifts. There are no direct judgments on your facts but wherever harassment is done in order to obtain economical support or financial stress is created, that qualifies as dowry harassment.

  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Criminal lawyers in India

Similar questions

1. FIR has been lodged against me on 24.11.2014 in UP , can i apply…
hello Experts! myself Durgaprasad! my wife filed case on 354D IPC, the admant majistrate with…
420,406,323,120b,504,506 is under which the case has been falsely filed by the opposition. there was…

My boyfriend is refusing me to marry after keeping physical relationship. All this happened in…

Criminal Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Nagesh B L

 Experience: 23 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly