Can surety be arrested if accused does not appear in court?

Can my father be arrested for the surety he gave for my brother in a criminal case and my brother does not appear in the court? My father had given a surety for my cousin brother to appear in a criminal case by submitting his salary slip and details. The amount of surety was Rs. 30,000.


Now my cousin has not appeared in the court since the last 5-6 months and my father has got a notice from the court.


What should we do now? Will my father be arrested for this?




In case where the Accused does not appear before the Court when released on bail, the Court can come against the Surety only to the extent of the bail amount. Your father will have to show cause as to why the surety amount should not be forfeited and in case he is unable to show reasonable cause for the same, he will be liable to pay the said amount of Rs. 30,000 which was the amount of surety in the bail bond.


In some cases, if you can show that your circumstances have changed so that the payment would cause excessive hardship, you may not be required to forfeit the amount in the surety undertaking, or may not be required to forfeit the entire amount. 


Your father cannot be arrested for your cousin's non-appearance.


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I was caught for drink and drive in gurgaon. I was leaving from my friend's birthday party and was going back home. Police officer used breathalys…

Read More

I have younger a brother who got into a fight on 31st december and they were arrested on 22 January. They we kept in Jhajjar jail for 6 days. 148,149,…

Read More

I have registered documents containing my mother's authentic signature and thumb impression. This includes land registry deed and two registered W…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue