Can mother in law file Domestic Violence case against daughter in law?

My brother got married in the year 2015, at that time I was living in the same house as my mother, brother and sister-in-law. I got married in March 2016, since then my sister-in law is constantly harassing my mother by beating and abusing her and not providing her with food and other necessities. Can my mother file a Domestic Violence case against my sister-in- law?

Answers (1)

290 votes
In such cases, the mother-in-law should try and record the ill deeds of her daughter-in-law and file a complaint against her in the police station. She can also file a complaint under the domestic violence act against her daughter-in-law as well as her son, if he is also involved in the same.

Further, she can also move to the court and seek an order for protection on the grounds of physical/matrimonial cruelty against her daughter-in-law.

It is best to take a well- informed advice from a qualified lawyer before moving to the court, as it is most likely that the daughter in law may move to the court with false dowry or domestic violence allegations.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Gouri Shankar Hemekari
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Sector - 49, Gurgaon
18 years Experience
Advocate Ricky Chopra
Karkardooma Court, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles