Can mother in law file Domestic Violence case against daughter in law?

My brother got married in the year 2015, at that time I was living in the same house as my mother, brother and sister-in-law. I got married in March 2016, since then my sister-in law is constantly harassing my mother by beating and abusing her and not providing her with food and other necessities. Can my mother file a Domestic Violence case against my sister-in- law?

Answer

In such cases, the mother-in-law should try and record the ill deeds of her daughter-in-law and file a complaint against her in the police station. She can also file a complaint under the domestic violence act against her daughter-in-law as well as her son, if he is also involved in the same.

Further, she can also move to the court and seek an order for protection on the grounds of physical/matrimonial cruelty against her daughter-in-law.

It is best to take a well- informed advice from a qualified lawyer before moving to the court, as it is most likely that the daughter in law may move to the court with false dowry or domestic violence allegations.