Can i be convicted for hurting a person in self defense

Sir ,if i fear a grave threat on myself from a family member and next time whenever i meet him i choose to recorded by a secret camera and whent i got an attempt to murder on my self then i hit him on his foot . in self defence///is this a self created conflict or if i am the culprit

Answers (1)

327 votes

Dear client!!!
You have not sent full facts regarding your case but however, i would answer your query in such a way so that you may understand the requirement of law.
Every person in a civilized society has a legal right of self defence or we may say that to protect his own person and also the person of others. The legislature has put this law in the shape of general exceptions in Indian Penal Code. The basic requirement of claiming immunity under general exceptions is that there should have been a proportionate use of force which i will illustrate like this, suppose if A slaps B, and in turn B kills A, then B cannot claim immunity because the force used by him on A is dis-proportionate and law does not recognize it. According to your facts some one has attempted murder on you and in turn to protect your body you hit him on the foot which is a propotionat use of force on your part and if it is proved then you would be entitled to immunity under law of general exceptions. Hence you are not a culprit in the eyes of law.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles