×

quescan defamation suit be filed after proven innocent

A person was involved in a criminal case but later nothing found true and got exonerated. Will highlighting this in public amounts to defamation to that person and can that he sue the one who made such statement.

• ansWas the issue was highlighted in public prior or subsequent to the accused being exonerated by the court? If, yes it was highlighted subsequent to the verdict of the court then he can certainly file for defamation.

Whether the mere fact that he stood exonerated by the court would entitle him to bring an action for defamation depends on the facts of the case.