×

quesCan accused person re-apply for a passport

My friend is an accused under Section 67 in The Information Technology Act, 2000 for sending cheap messages to a girl online. He currently attends the cases against him and the case is still not resolved.

His passport expired and he wants to reapply for passport renewal. Can he apply for same? Is it mandatory to fill all the details of the pending case in the passport form.

• ansHe can certainly apply for renewal of passport, but the renewal application may in all likelihood be rejected as he is facing a criminal trial. It is mandatory for him to furnish information with respect to the pendency of the criminal case against him. A background check is also conducted through the police.

Concealment of information regarding the pendency of a criminal case will expose him to a further prosecution under the penal laws. If passport office rejects the application for renewal, then he may apply to the court which is seized of the matter.