A poor person is blackmailed. How to protect him from a false case?

What can we do to safeguard a sweeper who works in our colony and is abused and blackmailed every now and then? Due to our R.W.A’s sweeper not being up to the mark, our colony has its own sweeper.

The R.W.A also pays its sweeper Rs.5000 but blackmails our sweeper saying they will file a case against him and take him to the police station. What can we do now?

Answer

There is a lack of clarity on whether the sweeper is a woman or man. We presume the sweeper to be a woman. No one has a right to molest or do physical harm to anyone. The offender can be prosecuted for outraging the modesty of women under section 354 and 509 IPC.

To safeguard her, try to collect evidence to prove that the allegations being made against that sweeper are false and your RWA has been using uncalled, unparliamentary language against him . These may be in the form of recordings, SMS etc. Any material that can prove that the RWA is harassing her can prove vital.

You can file a criminal complaint against your RWA members, for the offense of criminal intimidation, threat and misusing of their official position. If that sweeper is from the SC/ST community, you can also file a complaint under this Act also.