Procedure to apply for Copyright of Music Distribution

Hi, I'm an independent music composer and producer. I'm thinking of getting my music distributed through a distribution platform called CDBaby I want help in understanding the different music laws that I need to be aware of and also I want to understand the various services they offer as I'm having a hard time understanding them due to my lack of familiarity with the laws. Also, I need to know that if I am the producer and composer of a song; where the tune is composed and arranged by me, am I entitled to be the sole copyright holder of the song? Considering that I have payed the singer or the instrumentalist for their time and effort on day of recording? I am asking this because there are a few songs I have composed which are sung by a different artist and I have credited them as singers and performers and paid them for their service. In such a scenario, what precautions should I take to avoid any possible disputes in the future?

Answers (2)

205 votes

First thing is get an agreement in place that you will be the owner of the copyright for any work which you get done from others on payment.
Sec. 17 of the copyright act will give you those rights.
Yes you can be the sole copyright holder if you have got the work done on payment of remuneration.
For copyright registration and making contracts for the same you can contact us.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

122 votes

Hi. You need to contact an IPR lawyer precisely a lawyer well-versed with copyright laws. You can sign a contract between distributor and yourself which is essential. There is nothing as music laws however you must get yourself protected with the help of copyright laws and contract laws.

Popular Trademark & Copyright Lawyers

Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
34 years Experience
Advocate Prerna Oberoi
Sector 41, Noida
7 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Trademark & Copyright Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

i have written a song. need to safeguard what are the option i have to do it…

Read More

I got a ROC number, and my ROC is generated. And on the Copyright website it shows that my work is registered. Now in how many days w…

Read More

Can I use lyrics of old songs in my own work?…

Read More

. I am a business man engaged in mesicine retailing. Recently I planned to open a new medicine shop and got issued a trade licence in the name of \\\&…

Read More