Can someone sue me for sharing information i learned from him?

Is it illegal to impart and share knowledge in my training institute that I had gained at another training institute some time ago. I used to work with a trainer in a private firm and after being inspired by him, I opened my own training institute where we train people on soft skills, personality development.

Can he sue me for this wherein I am just using the knowledge I gained at his institute and not their brand, content, etc.

Answer

It depends upon your contract with the training institute. Many a times these contracts specifically contain a clause which bars the employee from competing with the Company for a fixed period of time after termination of the contract.

If such a clause (non-compete clause) exists in your contract with the company where you were working then yes they can take legal action against you for damages, otherwise you are safe as you are not using their goodwill.

Popular Trademark & Copyright Lawyers

Dr. Sudhir Ravindran
Guindy, Chennai