Wrong information provided to Income tax department in 1998

My father purchased a flat in my moms name in 1998 showing in income tax return that she had savings as my father was working & already had one flat in his name. So income tax department was mislead by filling wrong returns. My father passed away in 2013. So if some one complains to income tax department today about it will there be any checking or investigation done. Will income tax department conduct any inquiry if some one complains today.

In your case, IT Department on Suo-Moto basis if the discrepancies are going to be found by the Assessment Officer in the assessment of your father's tax returns, can issue to your father a Notice u/s 142(1) of Income Tax Act, 1961.

Popular Tax Lawyers

Advocate Manish G Varma
Fort, Mumbai
Advocate Suksham Aggarwal
District and Sessions Court, Ambala