Wrong information provided to Income tax department in 1998

My father purchased a flat in my moms name in 1998 showing in income tax return that she had savings as my father was working & already had one flat in his name. So income tax department was mislead by filling wrong returns. My father passed away in 2013. So if some one complains to income tax department today about it will there be any checking or investigation done. Will income tax department conduct any inquiry if some one complains today.

Answers (1)

315 votes

In your case, IT Department on Suo-Moto basis if the discrepancies are going to be found by the Assessment Officer in the assessment of your father's tax returns, can issue to your father a Notice u/s 142(1) of Income Tax Act, 1961.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Tax Lawyers

Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
Advocate Manish G Varma
Fort, Mumbai
19 years Experience
Advocate Suksham Aggarwal
District and Sessions Court, Ambala
8 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Tax Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."