Money received from relative as gift

My father who is now 87 years old and suffering memory loss issues is now being asked by a close relative to pay back an alleged sum of Rs 20000 with interest of 20 % , which he is claiming to have given my father as debt in 1990 thru cheque . No any documented proof like loan agreement or promissory note etc is available or produced by the claimant and also my father is no longer remembering any such things of the past now. How to proceed on this if any legal notice is made by the claimant as we have no evidence if actually it was borrowed by my father on repayable basis neither I had any information of this deal till date . Please advise

Ok... Please wait till the claimant send the legal notice to you.. No need to pay soon you received it. Let him approach the court.. Since the matter is happened long years ago.. there is no legal validity for this.. So dont worry..