Money received from relative as gift

My father who is now 87 years old and suffering memory loss issues is now being asked by a close relative to pay back an alleged sum of Rs 20000 with interest of 20 % , which he is claiming to have given my father as debt in 1990 thru cheque . No any documented proof like loan agreement or promissory note etc is available or produced by the claimant and also my father is no longer remembering any such things of the past now. How to proceed on this if any legal notice is made by the claimant as we have no evidence if actually it was borrowed by my father on repayable basis neither I had any information of this deal till date . Please advise

Answers (1)

211 votes

Ok... Please wait till the claimant send the legal notice to you.. No need to pay soon you received it. Let him approach the court.. Since the matter is happened long years ago.. there is no legal validity for this.. So dont worry..

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Recovery Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Recovery Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles