Want clarification on my ownership over my parent's property

I have living in ownership property since 1991 and my mother passed away in 2007. I and my father continued to live till my father left full occupation from aug 2015 restricted to occasional post collection visits. Since the ownership continues to be an argued matter is true I am sole proprietor by law? By way of full time physical possession?

Answers (1)

259 votes

Hi. Firstly I would like to know in whose name the property stands presently? Is it your mother or father? If I assume that the property is in the name of your late mother then her legal heirs become entitled to ownership rights in flat after her demise in proportions as per the relevant personal law. So after your mother, you and your dad become co-owner of property. You can become sole owner of the property only if your dad signs a release deed in your favour relinquishing his rights in the flat in your favour. Just because your dad makes occasional visit to the property doesn't mean that you can claim absolute ownership rights. Your dad can also sign a gift deed gifting his share in the property in your favour. So only when your dad signs either a release deed or gift deed in your name or when you buy your dad's share for valuable consideration, can you become entitled to claim absolute ownership rights. Thanx.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles