×

quesTransfer of immovable property excluding the brother

My father has expired. He has not made any will.The legal heirs of my father is my mother, we two brother and one sister. My father had one land with an in-build house.

We do not have any contact with my brother since last 12 years. We don't know his where about. Now with out my brother how could we transfer the property in our name i.e my mother, myself and my sister?

• ansThe property can be divided between you, your brother and sister, and your mother by a consensus. As and when your brother contacts you it will be prudent for you to give him his share.

If you have not heard from your brother for last 12 years, there is presumption in law that in such a situation a person has died. You can seek a declaration from the court in this regard and proceed further to transfer the property as per desire of the remaining legal representatives.