×

quesTaxes for transferring inherited agricultural land?

My father passed away a few years ago and the entire family resides overseas. Presently, my mother is visiting our hometown to get the agricultural land transferred from my father's name to the children. She has been informed that in addition to the "commission" for the patwari and tehsildar there is a state tax which had doubled.

I don't believe there should be any land transfer taxes due as the land is not being sold, it is only being transferred to the heirs's name. Can someone advise whether there are taxes applicable?

• ansYou need to connect with a local lawyer practising in your hometown regarding the taxes prevalent there. The commission that is sought to be recovered by the patwari and tehsildar is nothing but bribe money.

There may be specified law & rule prevailing there for collecting tax/revenue while transferring ownership of the property. Talk to a lawyer to get better clarity.