Succession certificate mandatory for legal heirs

My grandfather by relegion Hindu had a single marriage. He died without any will. My grandmother is still alive. My grandfather has 2sons and 1daughter(widow). My uncle has a daughter, my father has 2sons(including me) and aunt(widow) has a son. Is my understanding correct? That by Hindu Law the current legal heir of the immovable property (a residential building registered in the name of my grandfather) are my grandmother, uncle, my father and aunt?? None is in a plan to sell or transfer or reconstruct the building but to reside in the same jointly and amicably. Is a succession certificate mandatory in this case to establish the common title of the property by the legal heir???

Answers (1)

123 votes

After your grandfather's demise, your grandmother is the owner of 1/4th share, your father and uncle as well as the sister of your father are owners of 1/4th share each. If you want to reside in the property, you don't need a succession certificate and later on if you want to sale the property you could do it without succession certificate as well but I always advise you to have the succession certificate ready and get the property mutually partitioned which will help anybody to sell his/her own share and that would help you to maintain cordial relations. All the best. Regards

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles