Shop owners threatening to sell shop rented by us

We've been working in a rented shop for more than 30 years. All rent was paid regularly to the owners. The problem now is that owners want to sell this shop and they are not ready to sell the shop to us. Though we have requested them to sell the shop to us and we are even ready to pay the same price that they are demanding.

But due to some unknown reasons, they are not willing to sell the same shop to us. Now they are threatening to drag us to court. If we lose this shop we lose our lively hood. Help please.

Answers (1)

263 votes
Neither they can be forced to sell the shop to you, nor you can be thrown out of the shop by them. The owner can file a case against you for recovering the possession of the shop rented by him. If and when he moves to the court, you will get sufficient opportunity to fittingly contest his case. In order to protect your tenancy from being brought to a premature and illegal end you may move to the court and seek a stay order against any planned unlawful possession of the shop by the owner.

As you have all rent receipts, you can't be evicted without any court order. If any eviction suit is filed, it is contested on the basis of merits. You won't lose the shop but as owners of shop they can sell the shop whenever they want.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles