Selling a share from jointly owned property without co owner's consent

I have bought a house jointly owned between my friend. It is tenancy in common . There are no other specific wordings about the property disposal in the purchase document. The property has a pathway dispute with our neighbor and we have filed a case against him. Now my friend wants to sell his 50% share of the house to the neighbor and going to come out of the case. I am worried that if my neighbor buys 50% share from my friend then my share would be in trouble and the case becomes weak. Also I’m not in India now.Is there any way to stop my friend from selling his share to that neighbor?please advise.

Answers (1)

130 votes

You have to file a suit at the proper court through a local lawyer for restraining your friend from selling his undivided share of the property, citing the pending case and stating that your friend's action may jeopardize your position in that.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles