Second wife's share in husband's property & assets under muslim law

iam muslim childless widow,iam second wife.first wife devorce was not completed but ahe was not staying with husband for more than 10years.the first wife has three daughters and a son in this case what will be my share in my husbands property and other assets

Answers (1)

66 votes

Since the first wife has left your husband and has not returned for 10 years then it is understood that your first wife has separated for life. Therefore you can claim the property as per the shares a woman is legally allowed to take.

There are six fractions of shares mentioned in the Holy Quran:

2/3, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/3, 1/6.The 2/3 share is

for two or more daughters;
for two or more son’s daughters;
for two or more sisters;
for two or more half- sister;

The 1/3 share is

for two or more of mother’s children;
for the mother in the absence of child, or son’s child or two or more brothers or sisters;
some times for the grand father when there are brothers and sisters,

The 1/2 share is

For one of the four sets of females mentioned above when she is alone.
for the husband when his wife leaves no issue.

The 1/4 share is

for the husband when the wife leaves children;
for the wife when the husband leaves no children

The 1/8 share is

for the wife when her husband leaves children

The 1/6 share is

for the father when the deceased leaves children;
for the grandfather;
for the mother when the deceased leaves children or two or more brothers and sisters;
for the grandmother when the deceased leaves children or two or more brothers and sisters;
for the son’s daughter when the deceased has one daughter;
for one or more half – sisters when there is a sister
for two or mother’s children;

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles