×

quesRepair of leakages from bathroom. Who is responsible? No damage by me.

There is a leakage in the ceiling of bathroom of the flat (501) below my flat(601). I've not carried out any repairs/alterations/modifications and the leakage started automatically. Whose responsibility will it be to get the repairs done, the cooperative housing society or me? Awaiting your response.

This question has been answered by one of our lawyers. See answer below.

• ansSir, perused your facts, one will have to see the bye laws of your society however as per standard bye laws it will be responsibility 50/% of each flat owner I.e flat no 601 & 501 subject to the byelaws of your society.

Advocate Sagar Kothari

District Court Shivajinagar, Pune

• ansDear Sir,
    First you will have to ensure as to where is the source of leakage is, if it is in the flat above your flat then certainly you are not responsible.
    If there is terrace above your flat then the Society is responsible.
    So, please consult expert Licensed plumber and take report or opinion in writing about the source of leakage and submit the same to the Society as well as to the flat resident below your flat through Advocate for your safe side.
    Thanks and regards

• Apply For Legal Heir/Succession Certificate With Expert Lawyers

Click here to see all Property Legal Services