Registration and distribution of grandmother's property

Hi, I want some information regarding property and registry of house. We have a 100 square feet property which was registered to my grandmother name. Now one year later she was dead but she didnt registered the property to their sons. She have two sons and three daughter. All married. Now my uncle (Chacha) fighting for the property. He captured the registry also. I want to know how the distribution settled between the two. And does he misuse the registry of a house. Or does he capture the whole property by having the registry which is my dadi's named

Answers (2)

As per what I could gather from your query , in case of the property being your grand father's self acquired property which has later been transferred by him solely in the name of your grand mother or in case of the property having been purchased by your grandmother, in either of the cases any other legal heir shall have no right over the property till the lifetime of your grandmother. If she died intestate that is without leaving a WILL behind , then the property will get devolved upon the legal heirs as per the Hindu Succession Act. Your uncle cannot claim sole ownership of it , unless your grandmother left a WILL behind , whereby she bequeathed the property solely to him. Only by having a mere possession of the registry papers doesn't give your uncle any right to usurp the property. Your father may file a suit for declaration and partition claiming his respective share in the self acquired property of your late grandmother. At present you cannot claim any right over such property, as your interest shall lie only in the portion that devolves upon your father and that too not till his lifetime. Only after your father's lifetime you may claim your legal right over that particular portion of your grandmother's property which should have devolved upon your father.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

mere keeping of registry does not confer title. if your grandmother did not have a will then all legal heirs i.e sons and daughters will have equal share in the property . If your chacha is trying to usurp the property then it is advisable that a suit for partition should be filed claiming share in the property.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Document Review - Sale Deed

4.8 | 73 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Sale Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Property Registration

4.7 | 291 ratings
Get your property registered through an experienced local advocate
Title Opinion Report

4.8 | 193 ratings
Get a detailed Title Opinion Report by expert real estate lawyers in your city
Draft an Agreement to Sell

4.9 | 94 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Agreement to sell drafted by a local experienced advocate
Property Verification / Due Diligence

4.8 | 421 ratings
Property Verification, Title Search and due diligence conducted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.4 | 24 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
15 Minutes Property Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 541 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on your Property Matter
Document Review - Agreement to Sell

4.7 | 108 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Agreement to Sell review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement

4.6 | 197 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Gift Deed

4.3 | 37 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Gift Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Gift Deed

4.6 | 182 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Gift Deed drafted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Heir / Succession Certificate

4.8 | 71 ratings
Apply for a Legal Heir / Succession Certificate through a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

My father died in 1997, we were three brothers and three sisters, mutation opened in 2009 of ancestral property in the name of the three brothers and …

Read More

I live in an ancestral house and we are five brothers (Hindu). Formerly the registry of the house was in the name of our mother, she passed away and n…

Read More

Dear sir, I would like to underlined following few points My self Lalita BM from Shimoga Karnataka district My grandfather has 7 properties including …

Read More

Dear sir I am an Hindu with one elder brother and two sisters.father died in 1992.father purchased 10 acres of land in sisters name so that they can e…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue