Procedure to transfer property jointly owned by 2 persons

Hi, If a property is owned by two people its written in sale deed - "in favor of person1 and person2". Can person2 put the property in someone else name ? Can he sell his share. Also what if he dies will the person1 automatically become the sole owner ? or it depends upon the will ? Thanks

Answers (1)

116 votes

that depends upon the kind and size of property. If its size permits, then the property can be partitioned, un-partitioned share can be sold by one of them and the subsequent purchaser shall step into the shoes of the seller. if one of the owners dies, his legal heirs shall inherit his share in the property and not the other co- owner, if he is not the legal heir of the deceased co-owner. However, if he bequeaths the property by way of a WILL, the beneficiary of the WILL shall become the owner. .

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles