Procedure to remove name of co-owner from property

Hi, We brought a land in Bangalore 4 yrs back. Me and My wife is the co-owner of the property. Now, we are finding some differences and decided to remove my name from the property and to make complete ownership to my wife. Can i get some idea before i head back to India and start removing my name from the deed. Please let me know the step-by-step procedure so that i can well prepared before i make this changes. I really appreciate your help and quick response. 

Answers (3)

271 votes

There are a number of ways in which your aim could be achieved. You can do that by way of relinquishment , transfer, gift or a nominal sale of your undivided interest /share in the property. The process, amount of stamp duty or taxes will depend upon the State where the property is situated and the option you choose out of the ones given here. You can consult a property lawyer or contact us.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

59 votes

U can make the changes executing the release deed in favour of your wife before the jurisdictional sub registrar. If you send your papers I can draft you the deed and u Can suggest any changes and when reach here we can finalise it

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
70 votes

If you do not have any loan or mortgage over the said property, then the easiest way to remove your name from the joint names, is if you were to execute a release deed or relinquishment deed in favour of your wife with respect to 50% share that you are the owner of, then she in turn becomes the full and absolute owner of the said property.
For this, both you and your wife will have to go to the sub-registrar office where the property is situated and you as the first party execute the release or relinquishment deed in favour of your wife the second party, this document will be duly registered and she can thereafter get the Katha transferred absolutely into her name.
Since the transaction is between husband and wife, there is a fixed stamp duty that will have to be paid.
It is as simple as above.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles