×

quesPartition of inherited land among children

Our ancestral property of a land and a house in a village is still in the name of our mother who is no more. Originally, the property belongs to our grandfather who had two sons (one of them is our father). As no partition was done during my father's life time, the title for my father's share was transferred to my mother.

Now, she is also no more. We would now like to partition the land among the four of us. What is the procedure to follow?

• ansIs there any WILL made by your mother. If there is no WILL then obtain a succession certificate from the court of the jurisdiction of the property on the basis of 1/4th share in your mother's property.

You can also move an application for mutation of property in the name of all 4 children. Enclose a copy of the death certificate. If a no objection is received then the property would be transferred in the name of the legal heirs. You can then enter into a partition deed or a deed for family settlement.