quesis probate of will mandatory?

As per my father's will, I inherited his house at Ambattur, Thiruvallur Dist, Tamil Nadu. The will was registered in 1995 and he died in 1996. The will was not probated as Ambattur was NOT part of Chennai metropolitan city. But in 2011, Ambattur became part of Chennai City. Hence, I want to know whether the will has to be probated now?

  • ans

    If Ambattur  has become the part of Chennai City, then  you will have to file an application under Section 276(1) of Indian Succession Act 1925  for  seeking Probate orders. Section 276(1) of Indian Succession Act is reproduced hereunder for your better understanding:

    (1) Application for probate or for letters of administration, with the Will annexed, shall be made by a petition distinctly written in English or in the language in ordinary use in proceedings before the Court in which the application is made, with the Will or, in the cases mentioned in sections 237, 238 and 239, a copy, draft, or statement of the contents thereof, annexed, and stating—
    (a) the time of the testator’s death,
    (b) that the writing annexed is his last Will and testament,
    (c) that it was duly executed,
    (d) the amount of assets which are likely to come to the petitioner’s hands, and
    (e) when the application is for probate, that the petitioner is the executor named in the Will.

    With respect to your second query, under Limitation Act no period of limitation is specifically prescribed for filing a probate application. Therefore, you can file a probate application without any charges, in case of delay.


  • anssir
    No need to probate the will in your case because first of all the will is a registered one .Moreover i believe there is no dispute with regard to validity of will. furthermore, when the will is not registered and some one is disputing the validity of the will, then only it has to be subjected to probate.

    Advocate N Sudalai Muthu

      Ram Nagar, Madurai

  • ansHave you acted upon the will by enforcing the bequest in your favor, i.e., by transferring the property on your name as per the recital of Will and got the revenue records mutated on your name, if yes, this will be sufficient and no probate is necessary now. Hope the property is in your possession(?)

    Advocate T Kalaiselvan

      Kosapet, Vellore

  • ansYou have inherited the property as per your father's WILL, during 1996. Assuming you have mutated the revenue records based on the WILL, there will not be any issue.

    For Academic purpose: Even though Ambattur comes under the newly formed Chennai Corporation limit it will not come under the original jurisdiction of MADRAS HIGH COURT.

    Advocate Nanchill Rajkumar

      Velachery, Chennai

  • See the video below to know more about this Property legal issue

  • Draft a legal will at home with the help of leading lawyers in your vicinity. Check out LawRato's Will@Home service now to get more details!
  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

My father had received some land in Kerala, after division of the ancestral land between…
Dear Sir, My Father (Expired In 1989) had purchased A piece of land in the…
our neighbours are insisting us on their need to use our land which is a…
Sir my motor cycle at police station how should I get back. I was arrested…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Mohammed Abdul Quadeer

  Shree Ram Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly