How will the ancestral property divided if one legal heir has died

Hi, My grandmother has an ancestral property, which is to be divided amongst her 4 children - 2 sons, and 2 daughters. One son passed away last year, leaving behind a son from his first marriage, and a wife from his second marriage. The second wife has 2 kids from her first marriage, who are not related by blood to the grandmother. So, on death of the son, how will the property be divided amongst the heirs? I understand that the son's share will go to the grandson and to his widow from the second marriage. Do her children also become a part of the succession certificate? Please answer this query. Thanks

Answers (1)

70 votes

Your Grandmother property will be divided among the two daughters and one son with the legal heir of one son who passed away that is to his son from first marriage and his second wife only as per the law. If in the legal heir certificate of deceased doesn't include the name of that two kids. If they are also included
they rights to claim share. But anyways the property can be devided only in to four shares. If they have the right they can claim only from that one fourth share.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Shashi Kant Sharma
District Court, Gurgaon
11 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles