How to transfer property after both parents have passed away

My mother was murdered and my father died due to liver ailment. Now i have death certificate of my mom and dad. How to get the property on my name. And what are the documents needed for same.

Answers (2)

90 votes

you can get the property transferred in your name. if it is a landed property go to your tahasildar office and do the necessary formalities to get it mutated in your name.
The documents needed are:-
1. Death certificate of your parents .
2. ration card / your birth certificate to prove you as the son and the legal heir
3. If your mother's mother or father's mother alive take NOC from them(Supposing they are no more)
3. property tax paid receipts.
4. application form for mutation and receipt of fee paid for it.
The tahasildar office will guide you and help you with all necessary documents., provide accordingly.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

301 votes

First of all I would like to apprise you that succession of property is governed by different laws for different religions. So if you are a Hindu by religion and your father had died without leaving any WILL, his property will go in equal share amongst his Class-I heirs viz., his widow (i.e. your mother but as she is dead so it doesn't matter in ur case), his children and also his mother (in case she is alive).
If you are Muslim or Christian or Parsi then only legal heirs will change but process for is like below..
Process to be followed is :
First, one has to obtain legal heir certificate from the Tehasildar by submitting a detailed application indicating all the Class-I heirs left behind by the deceased, their age, their relationship with the deceased (i.e. wife, son, daughter, mother etc.). The said Application should be accompanied by the Death Certificate. After making enquiries, the Tehasildar will issue the legal heir certificate.
On the basis of the said legal heir certificate, the legal heirs have to approach the Authorities for mutation of the property in their name. Normally it is circle officer.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Pradeep Kumar
Rohini Court, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles