Father made agreement with someone to sell land who took loan on land

My father has made an agreement with a guy to buy his land.He the seller has used his land as surity for his private loan from another individual and he doesn't reclaim it back in time and so we doesnt go for documentation the agreement time expires. But we are having a valid reason that he did not recover his land and so we dosent document the land.Now tha case has been filed for recovering our money and land.Please guide us

Before entering into an agreement to buy the land it was your responsibility to see whether there is any lien on the land which you people did not do and now when the case comes try to defend your stand and engage a good advocate.