Father distribution of the ancestor property want to claim a share

I am a Hindu woman from Andhra born in 1956. I got married (no dowry). My father partitioned family ancestral property (rural agricultural land) in 1986 between himself and my brother. My mother and I were not given any share (no rights for women). At that time there was talk that the 1985 A. P government (NT Rama Rao) Amendment gave rights to girls, but only those born after that date. Later, the central 2005 amendment came, but that also seemed to apply to girls born after that date only. Now, some ladies known to me are saying that Supreme Court has given a judgement in February 2018, saying even women like us born before the Amendment have property rights (daughters are equal to sons). Is it correct? Can I claim a share in the family property? My brother, father and mother all passed away and my brother's wife possesses the property

Answers (1)

175 votes

Yes you can try before the concerned court as the property partitioned in 1986 after the Ap Government act amended giving equal right to the daughters. Your mother have no right to claim in the ancestral property from your father. There could be three shares, your father, you and your brother only.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles