quesDo we have any rights over the property if we are staying for 30 years

We are from undivided Hindu family living in a house for 30 yrs.land is in my uncle name (just Booz he z eldest). He went to Delhi in 1982. We got house constructed in 86 on that plot. We are three brothers I.e. Two chacha n papa living here.Verbally he dint have right on that. He z very well settled but now he z asking for his share. We don't have ny other place to live in. Brother z suffering from chronic disease. What shud v do.

  • ansSince the property is in the name of your eldest uncle, the law of adverse possession of property would apply in this case. Adverse possession is what happens when the real owner of property (in this case, your eldest uncle since the land is in his name) loses his ownership right when he fails to remove a "trespasser" from the property within the statutory period (12 years in case of private property). For ownership by adverse possession to kick in, three conditions need to be satisfied. First, actual possession, which includes physical construction. In your case, you have constructed your house on the land in dispute. Secondly, open possession. Which means that the construction/use should not be in secret, and also that the owner (in this case, your eldest uncle) should have knowledge of such use. Third, exclusive use. Adverse possession can only be claimed when you have exclusive use of the property.

    Since your uncle has not claimed his share in the property for over 12 years, and if the other mandatory conditions as stated above are satisfied, you can lay a claim to the property by the law of adverse possession. The Supreme Court in the case of Karnataka Board of Wakf vs. Government of India said, “In the eye of law, an owner would be deemed to be in possession of a property so long as there is no intrusion. Non-use of the property by the owner even for a long time won’t affect his title. But the position will be altered when another person takes possession of the property and asserts rights over it and the person having title omits or neglects to take legal action against such person for years.”

    Advocate Rohan Mittal

      Sector 17, Panchkula

  • ansYou have no rights over the property. I would advise you to resolve the issue amicably. You may file any suit in the court but at the end of the day you must have a right on the basis of which you claim to be a right holder or having an interest in the property.
    The only thing which comes to my mind is you can claim that there has been an oral Family settlement in the family and on the basis of Oral Family settlement you got construction done on the land and now your uncle is backtracking and causing your immense mental and financial/economical harassment and can file a suit for Declaration and Permanent Injunction.

    Advocate Amit Kumar

      District Court, Gurgaon, Gurgaon

  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

I have a couple of questions. 1. In January 2011, I bought a property here…

my husband has two and half acres agri land 30 guntas land and a house…
First of all the particular land belongs to SC category person and he sold it…

Iam 23yrs.I want to know how can i get a part of my parents property.Or…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Mohammed Abdul Quadeer

  Shree Ram Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly