cheating case against builder

I purchased a flat in Emaar MGF Palm Garden, Gurgaon. The builder has cheated by telling that he has taken all the requisite approvals from the government but it was later discovered that he does not have all the approvals from the government and now the construction has been put on a halt by the builder. What should I do in such a situation?


In the instant matter, where the builder has cheated you or the devleoper has made false promises, the buyer can file a criminal case under Indian Penal Code, 1860 for cheating, breach of contract, for delivery of poor quality of construction. At the same time, you can also file a consumer complaint on the ground of deficiency of services. Delay in possession or nondelivery of flats come with the ambit of deficiency of services. 

Consumer courts have slapped huge penalties in various matters and assured that the possession of flat is given at the earliest or the entire amount is refunded along with interest and compensation. Consumer courts have awarded exemplary compensation like 65 lakhs along with 18% interest as compensation in the matter of Unitech, Jaypee group was penalized with 12% annual penalty with respect to its NOIDA project.  

It is very important that you consult a lawyer in such matters and send a legal notice. A well drafted legal notice, covering all the points can draw the case in your favour. Also, an experienced lawyer in such matters will ensure that you get the possession of your house along with compensation for cheating and delayed possession. 

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

If I want to resale my flat to a new buyer at say 150 INR which I bought at 100 INR then does the new buyer have to pay again any tax to anybody for t…

Read More

Hello Sir/madam, I bought an apartment under construction 4 years back and it is still under construction and not yet given for possession.It is not y…

Read More

Hi, I have purchased a flat from one of the seller of a building which is undergoing the development agreement. All the exciting tenants have signed t…

Read More

I am from Kolkata, Rajarhat area. I have taken a flat and its already 2.5 years old. the builder has not completed the building work yet. there is a i…

Read More