Can daughter claim share in ancestral property?

My grandfather executed a WILL in the form of a notary which was not registered. This property was ancestral. He had 2 sons and a daughter. The property according to the notary was divided between the two sons who've been enjoying these property for 10 years now. The property was further divided amoung their children. Recently, the daughter sent a notice claiming that she was not given any share in the property. She got married 40 years back and is well settled. Does she have a right to oppose the WILL now?

Answers (1)

439 votes
It is always advisable to probate the WILL. It is a judicial proof that the WILL is genuine. Your grand father could only have bequeathed a self acquired property by WILL. For ancestral properties, your grand father could only have bequeathed his share.

The daughter can claim the share in property since it is ancestral and she has a right in it. She has a valid reason to challenge the WILL.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles