Can children claim deceased father's share in ancestral property

Good afternoon sir, my grandfather own 1 acre land in Srikakulam Andhra Pradesh, he died 6 years before without leaving any will, my grandmother expired 10 years back. They have 4 sons 1 daughter. All are married and have children. My father (eldest son of my grandfather) expired 5 years before and remaining all my 3 uncle and 1 aunty is alive. I have 1 elder brother only. Now they (my uncle) want to sell that land, how much share I and my brother will get and what are the documents should I and my brother have to give to get the share ? I am living in abroad so without going to india can I authorise my elder brother to take my share ? What is process and documents required for that.

Answers (1)

94 votes

As per your query till to date the property is in joint possession. As per amendment Act 2005 your father's Sister is also equal share in the property . All 5 persons eqally entitled their ancestral property. Now you and your brother entitled to your father's share. You can authorise your brother by executing a deed of power of attorney

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles