Can a second wife claim property of dead husband

I'm a Hindu. My father died a few yrs back n left an unregistered will in which he left us (children) a house which is on his name. He had remarried as my mother had died and second wife still living. We want to sell the house.How to go about it without her claiming on it since my father had already given her a separate house?

Answers (1)

269 votes

It is not mandatory to register a WILL. The distribution of the property has to be made according to the WILL. And to obtain a valid title of the property you need to get Probate. Further, the separate house which is been provided to the second wife of your father, in whose name that house belongs?

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles