Brother's share in father's property that has already been transferred

My mother in law (Father's mother) gave me 4 acres of Farm. And My father do have 6 acres of Farm. So can I claim my right on that Father's 6 acres to get half to me I.e. 3 acre and half to my brother Keeping my previous 4 acre safe? Or my brother can claim on my 4 acre given by mother in law. ? Thanking you in anticipation!

Answers (1)

291 votes

If the 4 acres of land has been transferred by your mother in law to you, all land documents are in your posession, all formalities are completed regarding the transfer and the land has been effectively transferred in your name then you are the lawful owner of that land. Your brother cannot have any objection to the 4 acre land that you own in your name.

You can request your father how he wants to distribute the land bearing area of 6 acres. This can be done with a prior arrangement between you three or by drafting of a WILL. He will decide on that. If he dies intestate (without making a WILL) then the land owned by your father will be distributed equally between you and your brother.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles