As a son can I ask for share in property which mother bought

Respected sir/mam,I belong to Hindu religion & I've a question related to property issue-Can I get my share in the property purchased by mother(not ancestral) if we're 4 sisters&no brother ?All sisters are married the whole property was legally handed over to our elder sister at the will of mother,she has property papers ,our mother is alive & our sister locked up the whole property leaving the poor behind mother on the road.The house was maintained ,some of its part was reconstructed by my elder sister and I didn't spent any penny in the house's maintenance.Also notice that this is not our ancestral or father's property,it was purchased by our mother when our father expired.

Answers (1)

235 votes

your mother is the absolute owner of the property. the property which she hold is called stridhana U/S 14(1) of
INDIAN SUCCESSION ACT 1956 . according to that section she can gift the property to any body to her wish and will. any share in the property to avoid legal issues if that gift is not registered you ask your mother to register that gift property in your name from your query it appears that mutation is also over.your brother will not get any share in that property. he can file case at his own evidence and burden of proof is also lies up on him to prove the case.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles