What will be the consequences of being party to a motor accident case

We met an accident on 12.08.2017 near Belgaum, Karnataka on our way to Goa. A passenger vehicle coming from opposite direction hit our car. Our car was badly damaged and me and my husband got minor injuries. Since it was opposite vehicles driver's fault, we lodged an FIR against him. However since we are from Pune and it was difficult for us to travel to Belgaum time and again, we closed our case. Now on 10-15 days back we received a court notice. A petition was filed by the passenger on opposite vehicle. However we didn't receive the copy of petition. The hearing date was 29 may. We somehow managed to appoint a lawyer and got the copy of petition. It has been filed against opposite vehicle owner, us and our respective insurance companies. It has been filed for 20 lacs rupees. Now on next hearing, objection will be filed by our lawyer. I am worried now. We were not even at fault, yet we have been made a party to the case. What consequences can it have? What should be our next step?

Answers (1)

339 votes

This is my response to you:
1. You should not have withdrawn your FIR;
2. You must again file an FIR against the opposite vehicle owner;
3. You must now file a counter claim of 50 lacs against the opposite side in the current petition pending before court;
4. Appoint a lawyer and start working on it immediately;
5. Also make ready all your insurance papers and evidences of the accident including photographs recordings etc.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Motor Accident Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Motor Accident Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles