What is the punishment in India for an accidental death?

I was driving my car on a crowded road and met with an accident which seriously injured another person. I wanted to stop my car and help him but till then a few people had gathered around him. So, I immediately left that place. Later on, I came to know that the injured person had died due to severe head injury. Hence, I wanted to know the consequences, if a complaint is registered against me.

Answer

In case of an accident, the opposite party generally files a case for rash and negligent driving. Hence, the opposite party has to prove that the accident was the result of rash and negligent driving. You can try and produce witnesses, who were present at the time of the accident and can state that you were not driving negligently.

If the offence is proved and since the accident led to death of the victim, you shall be punished with an imprisonment for 2 years or fine or both. In such cases, it is absolutely necessary for the opposite party to prove that the death or injury was a direct result of the negligent act of the accused. Thus, it is best to take the advice of a well experienced lawyer, who can help you escape severe liability by producing the right kind of evidences and arguments in court.

Popular Motor Accident Lawyers