What is the punishment in India for an accidental death?

I was driving my car on a crowded road and met with an accident which seriously injured another person. I wanted to stop my car and help him but till then a few people had gathered around him. So, I immediately left that place. Later on, I came to know that the injured person had died due to severe head injury. Hence, I wanted to know the consequences, if a complaint is registered against me.

Answers (1)

71 votes
In case of an accident, the opposite party generally files a case for rash and negligent driving. Hence, the opposite party has to prove that the accident was the result of rash and negligent driving. You can try and produce witnesses, who were present at the time of the accident and can state that you were not driving negligently.

If the offence is proved and since the accident led to death of the victim, you shall be punished with an imprisonment for 2 years or fine or both. In such cases, it is absolutely necessary for the opposite party to prove that the death or injury was a direct result of the negligent act of the accused. Thus, it is best to take the advice of a well experienced lawyer, who can help you escape severe liability by producing the right kind of evidences and arguments in court.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Motor Accident Lawyers

Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Motor Accident Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles