When can a tenant become the owner of a rented property

Hi, My grandfather took a house on pagdi system in 1975, he passed away and then it was never transferred by the landlord to us. We have been living there since. The landlord recently passed away and we have asked their relatives to find out who legally owns the building and they are in dispute about the property. we have not been notified and it has been 2 years and we are not sure if we should continue to make payments to that account or where the payment of rent will be made. As we only have the account number of the landlord. We have been told once the dispute is resolved they plan to make us vacate the house which will be an issue as that is the only house we have. I apologize for the background but have some questions Do we continue to make payments to the landlord account even if she has passed away as it is still open? How many years do we have to stay to ensure that the house will become ours? If there is such a law

Answers (1)

175 votes

The tenant in the given situation can NEVER claim ownership. There is nothing to worry. The law is settled : ONCE A TENANT, ALWAYS A TENANT. In no situation, a tenant can claim ownership so long as you are receiving rent. If he stop paying rent, you should immediately file an eviction petition.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."