queswhat is the supreme court ruling on tenancy

I would like to know the Honorable Supreme Court's take on Tenancy in the case of eviction when the owner of the property has won the suit in the Lower Division Court. What are the rights of the plaintiff and defendant in such a situation?

  • ansIf the landlord has filed suit for eviction of tenant and court has directed tenant to evict the premises the tenant can if he so desires challenge the order in appellate court. The Supreme Court has ruled that recalcitrant tenants can be forcibly evicted by the police if they fail to vacate the premises within the deadline given by the court. Bench of justices Markandeya Katju and Gyan Sudha Mishra said that it was passing the extraordinary order as it was vexed with the increasing number of cases in the country where tenants are refusing to vacate despite orders from even the country??s highest court. ??We further make it clear that when this Court allows the petition/appeal of the landlord or dismisses the petition/appeal of the tenant and grants some time to vacate the premises in question and if the tenant does not vacate within the time granted, the tenant shall be evicted by police force. ??This is a general direction we are passing because we are coming across several cases where the tenants are not vacating the premises in question despite granting time by this Court or despite furnishing an undertaking to this Court with a result that the landlord has to initiate contempt proceedings or any other proceedings. ??Hence, we give a general direction that when tenant??s petition/appeal is dismissed and he is given time to vacate then on the expiry of that time, he will be evicted by police force if he does not vacate of his own. If any extension of time to vacate is desired, that application should be filed well in advance,? Justice Katju writing the judgement said.

  • Send Legal Notice For Tenant Eviction With Expert Lawyers
    Know More

    Click here to see all Landlord/Tenant Legal Services
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Landlord/Tenant lawyers in India

Similar questions

I want to buy a land from a person,who is married lady ,successor of this…
Hi Lawyer, I am working in Mumbai and looking for a place to live in…

Plaint/Decree amendment for H.no rejected in lower court. can EP for rental arrears allowed? Suit…

I have two tenants in the front of my house. They are running business over…

Landlord/Tenant Lawyers in India

Advocate Mohammed Abdul Quadeer

  Shree Ram Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

Advocate T Kalaiselvan

 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Ujwal Phasate

  Kukde Lay Out
 Experience: 8 years

Advocate Rajat Joseph

  Nizamuddin East
 Experience: 15 years

View all >>