What action can I take if landlord is refusing to give rent receipts?

What action can tenant take if landlord refuses to give Rent Receipt even after asking repeatedly? Also since the IT laws require the tenant to furnish landlord's PAN card details if rent is higher than 15000 in order to claim HRA exemptions, what action can the tenant take if landlord refuses to furnish his PAN card details?

Answer

If the landlord is refusing to give the rent receipt then you should start paying your rent by cheque / demand draft / electronic form for which your bank statements will reflect proof towards valid payment of rent to the Landlord.

You can also issue a written notice to the Landlord asking him for the receipt of the rent already paid, failing which you can approach the competent court of law seeking directions for issuance of rent receipt.

W.r.t the second query, if the PAN Card details are not provided by the Landlord, then you should also issue a written notice to the Landlord asking him for their PAN - failing which HRA exemptions cannot be allowed by you.

Click here to find the best Landlord/ tenanct lawyer in your city. 

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers