Selling of property without the consent of the owner.

The concerned property is held jointly between me and my mother, we are joint owners. We want to sell our property but the property can only be sold to my cousin who is living in the other portion of the property. It is a partitioned house separated by a common wall. My grand mother's will put the restriction that we can sell the property only to her. I am not interested in selling it to her as she is offering a low price. But my mother has already taken an advance from her and signed an agreement to sell, I have two floors above and I want to give it on rent, but my mother is not interested. Whenever someone comes to see my place, my cousin tells them that the property has been sold to her so they should not come here for any rentals.

How can she claim ownership by just giving an advance? My mother has only taken an advance and not the entire sale consideration and she has only signed, not me. So is possible to give it on rent or no or despite my cousin's interference, who has only paid an advance? If i give the place on rent is my mother's signature also necessary on the rental agreements? A lawyer who I met locally told me that my mother's sign is not necessary, please clarify! Kindly advice.

Answers (1)

347 votes
Your mother's consent is necessary to give premises on rent as both are co owners of the property.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."