Roommate trying to break joint rental agreement without consent

Can I sue my Roommate for breaking the joint rental agreement. we are both referred as the licensees.It affects my financial situation as I disagree to leave until contract is over.?

Answers (1)

318 votes

Hi, suing your roommate will lead to no outcome. The cost of instituting a case against him will be costly and given your financial situation, that does not seem to be a logical solution. Thus you can at the most speak to him and explain your financial condition if he leaves midway making you liable for paying entire license fees. Even if you issue him a legal notice just to create pressure, do you think you will be able to share the licensed premises with him given the bitterness that will have arisen between you and him ? So a legal case is not a solution to your problem, both logically as well as financially. It will make things worse. I suggest you search for another room mate ans request your present room mate to continue sharing and bearing the rent of the room till you find a suitable room mate. Legal case is not and cannot be a solution for every problem! All the best.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."