Problem with "holdover tenant" who refuses to allow brokers into house

Our holdover tenant's one year lease expired on May 26th, 2020. The tenants don't want to renew this lease but instead have proposed paying rent on a month to month basis, a proposal we have rejected. They are refusing to allow brokers to show the house to any potential interested tenants. We sent the tenant a termination notice dated May 27th, explaining why they are in violation of our lease agreement and that they should vacate the house within 30 days, but this had no effect. We would like to put some legal pressure on this holdover tenant to at least allow brokers to enter and show the property. What would your advice be on any action(s) that could be taken by us moving forward against these holdover tenants? When will it be permissible in New York state to start actual formal eviction proceedings against them? -- Thank you, David Crugnola

Answers (1)

53 votes

After the eviction notice has already been issued from your behalf, you can further issue another notice for their illegal activities. That the only pressure building technique upon them can be filling of case for eviction of the property upon them and nothing else. There is nothing more that can be done.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."