Need advice on Deposit Refund from Landlord - Rent Case

This is regarding a house I rented in Mahim, Mumbai alongwith a flatmate. After our lock-in period got over, we gave a month's notice to vacate the house and did the same. However in the rent agreement it was mentioned that the tenants have to get the house painted before leaving. We agreed to do the same but the owner said he will deduct the money from deposit and will get it painted on his own and asking for a huge amount for a small house. He is not refunding the deposit back. During covid, we asked him to reduce the rent, he agreed for a month where I paid 4000 less and my flatmate paid 8000 less. This was a mutual agreement and he did not mention anywhere that he will need back this money. But now he is not giving the full deposit, not letting us get the house painted and asking for this money back. Need some advice in this case. Thanks

Answers (1)

212 votes

pay him the money as agreed between the parties as per the agreement and let him paint his house on his own..the amount paid by you during the lockdown shall be deducted when you pay him the closure money..incase he still persists on deducting the amount from your deposit then you may have to send him a legal notice..

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."